Sunday, February 5, 2012

Adjusting to a new world

We didn't just move a state away. We moved a state away to California, where everything is different.
Here are a few examples of things we are having the pleasure of adjusting to:

1. Emissions testing is not called emissions testing, it is called a smog check, and it takes 45 minutes. The test itself, not the waiting. That's extra.

2. You can't buy lamps at IKEA, because all their lamps are not up to the California standards. Apparently they will only let you buy snooty lamps here.

3. No bountiful baskets. For those who don't know what that is, basically you get lots of produce for a good price, because a whole bunch of people go in together. Well, I'm guessing CA has some law that prohibits that too, because there is no listing for any CA locations on their website.

Aside from all the weird laws and regulations that make life just a tad more difficult, our time here so far has been really good. We have a really nice ward with great young couples in it. We've already had a couple over to our place to play games, and wouldn't you know it, they know what Killer Bunnies is! We're still unpacking, and Justin starts his new job tomorrow. He is so anxious to start; this gap where he hasn't been working (other than the work of moving!) has gotten him down a bit. He needs to have something to keep him busy and mentally engaged, so he's quite excited for tomorrow. I'm excited for him, and looking forward to getting into a routine again!

This pregnancy is starting to really kick in, too. Yesterday I started feeling really nauseous for the first time. I've had a little here and there, but I think morning sickness is officially here now. It's not fun, but at the same time it's reassuring to finally feel pregnant. I'm also starting to show a bit more, not that most people would be able to tell. I can tell though, and I definitely need to go pants shopping. Thank goodness I have skirts with yoga-style waistbands! They are so comfy right now. Those and pjs :) And with insurance kicking in tomorrow, I'll have one less thing to stress about.

All in all, life is good. We are adjusting to this new state where the laws are numberless and absolutely arbitrary, but we'll get used to it. I'll probably post again later this week, as I will finally be getting started on my January (and February) blocks of the month. Sorry no pictures, but thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

the whole lamp thing at Ikea is just stupid.

Ashley W. said...

Agreed! But nice that you're making friends so quickly. And I hear ya on needing to go pants shopping :)